ReadyAI Privacy Statement
Last Updated: May 16, 2019
We at readyai.org respect your concerns about privacy. We developed this Privacy Statement to provide you with information on how we collect, use, and disclose information about you. This Privacy Statement describes our practices in connection with the readyai.org website, the Learning Platform, and other information collection sources.
Information We Collect
We currently collect information about you in the following ways:
- Information we receive from you.
- Email/newsletter sign up. When you sign up for our mailing list or newsletter, we collect your first name, last name, and email address. We may also collect additional information about you such as whether you are a student, parent, educator, or tech professional.
- Job applications. When you apply for an open position through our website, we may collect resume and employment history information.
- Learning Platform. When you access our Learning Platform, we may collect information about you including your first and last name, gender, date of birth, address, city, state, zip/postal code, email address, User ID, user name, language, and academic background. We may ask you to self-report gender and ethnic or racial background; providing such information is strictly voluntary and, if provided, you are consenting to our use of such data. We may also collect information about your usage of the Learning Platform and any comments about the platform you provide.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect about you in the following ways:
- To communicate with you. We use the information you provide us in order to communicate with you and send you emails and newsletters.
- To process your job application. We use the information you provide to us in order to determine eligibility for open positions and to otherwise process your job application, including to further contact you about your application.
- To administer our Learning Platform. We use the information you provide to us in order to manage use of the Learning Platform, including for registration and authentication, for displaying content from external platforms, and to facilitate content commenting. We also use information about your use of the Learning Platform to better understand general usage practices and to improve the platform.
- To improve our website. We use the information collected through analytics cookies to better understand how users interact with our website, in an anonymous aggregated form, to help us make improvements to the site.
How We Share Information
We may share the information we collect:
- With our service providers so that they may perform services for us, including running our website and sending communications for us. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose your information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
- With our business partners, affiliates, or funders in order to report on usage and success rates of our programs. Any such information would be provided in an aggregated and statistical format and would not reveal the identities of individual program participants.
- With other third parties, such as law enforcement or other government entities: (1) if we believe there has been a violation of our website policies; (2) if we believe that someone may be causing injury to our rights or property, other users, or anyone else; (3) to respond to judicial process or to provide information to law enforcement; or (4) as required by law.
How You Can Control Your Privacy
- Opting Out. You may always opt out of receiving future promotional emails and newsletters from us through the link at the bottom of each email/newsletter. Please be aware that if you opt out of such messages, it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process your opt-out request, and you may receive emails or newsletters from us during that period. Your option not to receive promotional material will not preclude us from corresponding with you regarding your existing or past relationship with us (e.g., program application, online platform engagement, etc.).
- Do Not Track Requests. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies or other tracking tools. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to delete existing cookies. Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to these signals.
How We Protect Your Privacy
We recognize the importance of maintaining the security of your information. We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use, and modification. Please be aware though that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
We will retain your information in accordance with our internal records retention and management policies and procedures, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (collectively, “COPPA”) require us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this section, “parents”) about our practices for collecting, using, and disclosing personal information from children under the age of 13 (“children”). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a child’s parent for certain collection, use, and disclosure of the child’s personal information.
This section notifies parents of:
- The types of information we may collect from children.
- How we use the information we collect.
- Our practices for disclosing that information.
- Our practices for notifying and obtaining parents’ consent when we collect personal information from children, including how a parent may revoke consent.
- All operators that collect or maintain information from children through this website.
Information We Collect from Children
Children can access many parts of the website and the Learning Platform and its content and use many of its features without providing us with personal information. However, some content and features are available only to registered users or require us to collect certain information, including personal information, from them. In addition, we use certain technologies, such as cookies, to automatically collect information from our users (including children) when they visit or use the website and the Learning Platform.
We only collect as much information about a child as is reasonably necessary for the child to participate in an activity, and we do not condition his or her participation on the disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary.
Information We Collect Directly. A child must provide us with the following information to register with this website: the child’s user name and password and a parent’s email address. We also require the child to create a member name and password. We may request additional information from your child, but this information is optional. We specify whether information is required or optional when we request it.
Automatic Information Collection and Tracking. We use technology to automatically collect information from our users, including children, when they access and navigate through the website and the Learning Platform and use certain of its features. The information we collect through these technologies may include:
- One or more persistent identifiers that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites and online services.
We also may combine non-personal information we collect through these technologies with personal information about you or your child that we collect online.
How We Use Your Child’s Information
We use the personal information we collect from your child to:
- register him or her with the website and the Learning Platform;
- communicate with him or her about activities or features of the website and the Learning Platform that may be of interest;
We use the information we collect automatically through technology (see “Information We Collect”) and other non-personal information we collect to improve our website and the Learning Platform and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about the child’s preferences, allowing us to customize the content according to individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information
We do not share, sell, rent, or transfer children’s personal information other than as described in this section.
We may disclose aggregated information about many of our users and information that does not identify any individual or device. In addition, we may disclose children’s personal information:
- To third parties we use to support the internal operations of our website and the Learning Platform and who are bound by contractual or other obligations to use the information only for such purpose and to keep the information confidential.
- If we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as to comply with any court order or subpoena or to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of ReadyAI, our customers or others, including to:
- protect the safety of a child;
- protect the safety and security of the website and the Learning Platform; or
- enable us to take precautions against liability.
- To law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
Accessing and Correcting Your Child’s Personal Information
At any time, you may review the child’s personal information maintained by us, require us to correct or delete the personal information, and/or refuse to permit us from further collecting or using the child’s information.
You can review, change, or delete your child’s personal information by:
- Logging into your child’s account and visiting his or her account profile page.
- Sending us an email at email@example.com. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to take certain steps or provide additional information to verify your identity before we provide any information or make corrections.
Any other inquiries may be directed to:
5777 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Changes to this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement may be updated periodically and will be posted on our website indicating when it was last updated. If there are material changes to our Privacy Statement, we will post prominent notice on our website and/or provide other notice as required by law.
You can contact us by email or at the postal address below. Please indicate in your email or letter that you are making a Privacy or Privacy Statement Inquiry.
5777 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15206